The Hollister Ranch Conservancy
Most of the natural environment along the California coast has been compromised with residential & commercial development, recreational facilities, etc. The Hollister Ranch Conservancy was established in order to preserve and protect the indigenous flora and fauna as the Ranch was developed residentially. Indeed, through projects such as a native grass reestablishment program and an ecologically sound cattle grazing operation, the Ranch is in better shape environmentally than previously. Many outside forces seek to alter the natural environment at the Ranch. A number of energy companies have sought to develop the Ranch. Some would like to see the Ranch used as a recreational destination for thousands of people. The Conservancy works to discourage such inappropriate development.
For more information, visit the Conservancy website at: www.hollisterranch.org
Hollister Ranch is located between Gaviota and Point Conception and covers approximately 14,400 acres, including eight and one half miles of south-facing coastline. It is divided into 133 parcels owned by individuals, plus three parcels owned by all the owners in common—two beach parcels running the length of the Ranch and a parcel with the historic Hollister House, barns and employee housing. The ranch roads are contained in 200-foot-wide pass and repass easements over private parcels. The Ranch lies at the juxtaposition of the northern and southern California ecosystems, with unusual overlapping of flora and fauna, including rare and endangered species. It embraces a Shoreline Preserve, a 2.2 mile protected intertidal area with pristine tide pools. Marine mammals regularly haul out at Ranch beaches, and migrating birds use the beaches and ponds to rest and feed. There are extensive CC&Rs and Ranch rules with the primary purpose of preserving the unspoiled character of the land. Hunting is not allowed, nor are personal watercraft, motorcycles or similar vehicles. Access to private parcels is limited to twelve owners and twelve guests at any one time. Owners regard the Ranch as a natural preserve.The Ranch, as part of the original Rancho Nuestra Señora del Refugio, has been a working cattle ranch since the original grazing permit was awarded to José Francisco de Ortega in 1791. The Hollisters purchased the land in 1866 and held it until 1966 when it was sold and eventually developed in 1971 as a unique development concept that was designed to keep the Ranch an unspoiled natural resource. It continues to operate as a working cattle ranch by virtue of management by the Hollister Ranch Cattle Cooperative.
HR History Book